This is done to showcase the plants of Desert Oasis on Alpha-X9.
1. The Giant Cactithorns are a group of very successful plants. They combine attributes of earth cacti and thorn. They have thorns that seem much like a hybrid between their thorns. They also have the ability to grow fast, and release millions of tiny seeds. These seeds are carried on the wind, and take root when they find water. While they can stay alive and dormant for nearly a year, the odds of them actually making it aren't high at all. Only about a thousand take root. And of those, many are eaten while their thorns develop. Out of a typical batch of a million seeds, only ten will survive into adulthood. They don't have separate genders, and can self fertilize their eggs, using a separate group of dormant genes. When the plants begin to grow, they take sensory information, and decide which set of 2 groups of genes they will use, and which will remain dormant until it is time to reproduce.
2. These grass like plants carpet everything. They have millions of tiny seeds, and unlike the Giant Cactithorns, they have two sexes. They also disperse their seeds using animals. They are very common, and some are o similar, scientists have not yet bothered naming them.
3. These small pods are known as Crystal Orbs. At night they glow an intense, bright blue. They reproduce with a pollen-like substance. They only open their leaves at night, at which point their bioluminescence attracts nocturnal pollinators. They are also very common, and come in many shapes and sizes, like Earth flowers.
4. The Pearlbranch is a small plant that is woody, and can be used as firewood in emergency. They grow flower like extensions during the Alpha-X9 equivalent f earth spring, and they only cultivate the bacteria needed to alight their "pearls" during this time.
5. These plants are actually related to the "grasses" of Alpha-X9. They are drenched each night in a biolumunescent liquid of their own creation. They keep their seeds inside their regrowable pods, which are excreted after the edible fruit is eaten.
6. These plants resemble trees, but when they detect the bioluminescence of other plants they unfurl a massive, beautiful display. These displays actually can have a hypnotic effect.
7. These camera droids are extremely efficient and have helped document, by some estimates, 50-60% of the plants found so far.
8. This droid is actually mostly to appease the politicians. They don't work very well, but they seem to make the public have more of a sense of..........being on an alien planet.
From the notes of Doctor Altendorf, Head Botanist at Outpost Mercury.